Yahoo is gasping for air. Bartz is trying to resuscitate Big Purple, to not be boring. I applaud the goal. Yahoo needs something beyond new interest, it needs to be relevant in the next web.
- Whats the next web ? Why mobile of course. Look at Opera Mobile, Look at Merry Meeker PPT, look at iPhone usage
- So what does being relavant on mobile web mean ? Look at the top 10 smartphones this Xmas. Google is central to the OS/ search of 5 or 6 of the devices ( The Droid, Droid Eris, MyTouch, G1, G2, Hero, + Google Search+Google Maps on iPhone)
- Yahoo does not have an OS, or Major high volume search deals with specific mobileOS smartphone players like iPhone
Mid Term Yahoo Strategy : Acquire Palm and its WebOS product.
- Use Yahoo's advertiser relationships, multi hundred million web audience, to spread WebOS (possible as brnaded Yahoo OS
- Enable WebOS give Android a run for its money, keep yahoo central to the mobile experience of the mobile web
Sucsess metric: Make YAhoo relevant in the 2011/2012 top 10 XMAS smartphone list.
2. Augmented Reality is catching on
- disney.com iphone app , esquire magazine, john mayer music videos, layar, wikitude, yelp , etc
3. China just got an iPhone, no wifi
- iPhone OS is going to hit 100 million devices by 2012
- uptake in China fueling growth
- End of exclusivity agreements in North America, West Europe, Aus
4. ICANN just enabled the web to keep massive global growth/ fracture across language lines
- Chinese, Russian, Japanese
5. HTC is turning into a consumer BRAND.
Hey,I appreciate your writing.I have to add some words with it.Palm was the first to present the whole concept of a smartphone with desktop connectivity.There were other multifunction phones,from Nokia and others before that,however PalmOS was the foundation of the whole desktop data shared with a phone concept,(and still has favorable circumstances over iTunes).It possessed the market until it offered no reaction at all to the iPhone, or Blackberry,both of which it at first beat.It never truly recovered from the internment it endured in the wake of offering no opponents to the few new generations they offered over a period of more than 2 years.Some similarity of WebOS would have fit splendidly into that earlier period.An alternate sprinter that didn't figure out how to financially pace itself.ReplyDelete
hidden object game